Sunday 5 January 2014

Cross Stitched Baby Blanket

A precious one to show you from the vaults.

IMG_2333

My babies took a long time to arrive, which a lot of assistance.  I never wanted to make things for ‘the baby’ in case there was ‘no baby’.  That was a thought I didn’t want to go near.

So when the day arrived when I was finally expecting, I found it such a joy to create things for my new arrival.

This is not something I created however, this is something my mum made for me.  It was a pre-printed cot panel – you’ve seen them, great big crosses that you stitch over.  She stitched it for my first little one, lined it with a soft knit fabric (didn’t take a photo of that) and told me to ‘use it’. 

IMG_2337

I used it alright.  I used it and used it and used it.  I washed it and washed it and washed it and the stitching stayed where it was supposed to and it never lost its shape.

IMG_2338

Whenever I make a quilt for a new baby I tell the mother ‘Use it!!’.  When she says ‘But what if I wear it out?’ I tell her I’ll make her another one.  These quilts are made for using and nothing gives me more pleasure than to see something I have made be used by people. 

IMG_2339

I have so many half started baby projects – now my babies are babies no longer, I must get them finished and move them on to a new mother who will appreciate them.

IMG_2340



IMG_2343


This one though is tucked away safely.  I’ll bring it out one day when my babies are having their babies, and they can have something special to use – the blanket that they were once wrapped in.

Till tomorrow,

Suzie

2 comments:

  1. Que maravilla, y que dulce, nos ha encantado. Felicita a tu madre por ese trabajo.
    Un beso guapa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) you are so sweet, Carmen. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete