Friday 27 January 2017

Australia Day

Australia Day is always an interesting day for me.  It’s my brother’s birthday, and it’s only a day or two away from my eldest’s birthday, so for the most part the actual Australia Day part isn’t really the big deal.  We get a holiday for it, and it’s always on The Day, rather than making a long weekend out of it (which is a great Aussie tradition!).  So this year it was on a Thursday.

It didn’t really matter much to the rest of our family – we are on school holidays still – but my husband had to work either side (poor him!).  We had friends up river camping and they invited us up there, so we took the opportunity to put the boat in and take the girls up for an afternoon/evening and a barbecue tea.

This is what people do in my neck of the woods.  We have the river on our doorstep, and people set up camps alongside it.  It’s a holiday tradition.  We don’t do the whole camping thing (I’m so much more a glamper) but I love to sit by the river so it’s the best of both worlds!  I can stay all day and then come home and have a shower!

I took the opportunity to go for a walk and take some photos so I could share!

IMG_0924

We’ve had a high river (not allowed to call it a flood lest it scare away the tourists), and that’s subsided now, leaving fields of clay that were once covered in water, now slowly drying up.  I caught this photo of kangaroo tracks – there were many signs of kangaroos everywhere.

IMG_0925

IMG_0927

Not the main river, just a side creek that hadn’t gone down all the way.  Still very pretty.

IMG_0930

IMG_0931

Clay flood banks slowly drying up.  Very interesting pattern – my quilty brain was whirring.

IMG_0932

IMG_0933

IMG_0934

IMG_0935

IMG_0936

IMG_0937

Don’t know if you can see from the photo above but halfway up the tree is a very subtle colour change – that’s how high the river had gone over the flood plains.

IMG_0938

IMG_0939

This tree had fallen over and started to grow upwards again.  Clever tree.

IMG_0940

IMG_0941

IMG_0942

Do you know what this is? 

Classic Long Drop Loo.  Not for the faint hearted.  I’d rather go behind a bush to be honest.

IMG_0943

Not the main river, just another creek.  Filled with ducks, though you can’t see them here.  Everything is THRIVING at the moment.  It’s great to see.

IMG_0944

IMG_0945

IMG_0946

IMG_0947

IMG_0948

IMG_0949

IMG_0950

IMG_0951

IMG_0952

IMG_0953

IMG_0954

And that was my stroll.  I hope you enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment