Wednesday 22 August 2012

Ohhh I’m sick

But I’m the mummy so I don’t get to crawl back into bed. 

Except I’ve sent off both children to school and the husband to work and for the next few hours, after I have written this post, I WILL be going back to bed.  The luxury!

I live in a small rural area – you know that.  We have loads of different fruits growing in orchards around here, mostly we are a fruit growing area and in the middle of a drought, so you can imagine times are tough.  We depend on the rain and the river for irrigation, and you don’t really want to get me started on the politics of sharing a river with two other states, all with different legislations.

But – our little area does grow almonds.  And when I say grow almonds, I mean GROWWWWW almonds.  There are just thousands of trees around.  And currently, they are all flowering.

Block Two

My Nan has a close friend who owns an almond orchard, and she invited us out to visit her.  Nan can’t drive so I took her.  We saw rows and rows and rows of flowers like those above.  The scent was heady, and in between all the rows are hives of bees (because they need the bees to pollinate the almonds).  It was beautiful.  The sun was shining, the bees were buzzing, the petals lay on the ground like snow. 

Magical.

On the way there, we passed a canola field. 

Blog One

Photos don’t do it justice.  Miles of the brightest yellow, up against the bluest sky. 

So after driving, we had tea with our friend.  And she had this on her couch:

Blog Three

Of course, I was immediately drawn to it.  I asked her where she got it from?  She replied – oh you already know the answer, don’t you?

IN THE TENTMAKER’S STREET IN CAIRO!.

Don’t you love how the universe throws these things at you?  You take an interest in something and suddenly, it appears everywhere!  It was great to see it, rather than just look at pictures.  Due to the way the stitcher catches the backing fabric, the stitches appeared almost like quilting.  It was pretty rough in places, and the stitching was coming undone.  I asked her how much it cost, and she said roughly about $10.  For a cushion.  Less than a couple of cups of coffee.  She wanted to give him more but he wouldn’t take it. 

The universe is an amazing place.  I figure this is its way of telling me I must do something like that for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment