Saturday 4 August 2012

My Winter Garden Part Two

IMG_0760_thumb[1]

This one – oh look at the colour of this one. I don’t know what it is. I have a suspicion it’s a grevillea, which is a native to Australia. I don’t know its name but I adore it. It’s covered in this mass of tiny flowers, all alien like with their long claws. But so, so pretty. And the colour of it is every bit as pink as it looks on here. Almost like a fuschia.

IMG_0761_thumb[1]

This is a different plant than the one above, but I would not be surprised if it’s from the same family. Each stage is wonderful, they start as a small shell shape, then bit by bit they uncurl those lovely long fingers. The bees were all over this one. I did take my life in my own hands trying to get close up.

IMG_0762_thumb[2]

Another one. They look so wonderful. I love those two colours together, the pink and the green set each other off so well.

IMG_0763_thumb[1]

And a last one. I just love them. Love Love Love.

IMG_0765_thumb[1]

We paid for someone to do the front garden landscaping, and then promptly ran out of money to do the back. Very conveniently (for us, not so much for him) my father in law was put out to pasture by his work. Therefore he had many hours of free time to spare us. He came over often and established our beautiful back yard, and had his choice of plants. This one is a shrubby thing, I have a sneaking suspicion it is another grevillea.

When we were establishing our garden, Australia and in particular where we live was smack dab in the middle of the longest drought in recorded memory and everywhere had water rationing. No watering of your garden was to be done for a very long time. So most of our back (and front) yards plants were designed to be a low maintainence (and low water) plant, and of course, natives work really well for that.

IMG_0766_thumb[1]

Silly blogger.  I’ll have to post another one….see you soon….

No comments:

Post a Comment