I think I’ve posted this one before, but I took a photo of it with my fancy schmancy camera today as part of my aim to properly photograph all my quilts.
I’ve made two versions of this quilt. The first one was just the inset (log cabin) part. I knew nothing about quilting and followed the directions (in centimetres) using whatever fabrics I had on hand, which was mostly polycottons. It was probably about 1992 when I began it.
I only ever finished the centre bit, having decided it was far too complicated to ever get involved in this whole quilting lark. I quilted it up with a piece of fluffy, fat polyester wadding (believe me, it was as ghastly as it sounds) and promptly forgot I’d ever made such a monstrosity.
But I never forgot the quilt. I adored that pattern and so after a few years, when I knew more about quilting, I remade it. This time I only made it to the edge of the four borders. That was probably about 1995. I’d lost the pattern by then, having only a picture left and couldn’t work out the maths to make the quilt work.
Again, I put it away.
Once I retired from the quilt shop, I knew a lot more about quilting, and felt confident enough to have a go at my own maths. And it went together really well. I made it out to the current borders you can see. It now measures 1.25 metres x 1.65 metres.
But that’s as far as I have got, and as far as I will go. It’s so old that the fabrics were those deliciously light and flowery Concord cottons (only the real old timers will remember those) and they just don’t exist any more. I haven’t enough left to make it any bigger, and I think this is an okay size anyway.
So now, I’ve pieced a back, taken a lovely photo of it, and shall put it away until such time as I am ready to quilt it.
It remains one of my favourite quilts and has reignited in me a real need to do another log cabin quilt. It’s been a very long time since I’ve done anything like that.
Maybe we can do a log cabin quilt along one day. We’ll see.