I posted a few days ago about my plans for a new bed quilt, after deciding that I needed to retire the one on our bed.
I had started a new one a few years ago (of course I did) but as time goes on, I’ve come to think it’s too busy for a bed quilt, but ideal for a wall one. What do you think?
The original plan was to turn it on its side and make it on-point, with big cream triangles out to the side, and more applique. I have all the triangles pieced, and I’m pretty sure that this is where I’ll go from here.
But I needed a lot more ‘rounds’ to get it big enough to fit on our bed, and when I lay it there to have a look, I decided it was too showy for the bed, but perfect for the wall behind the bed.
I buttonholed the flowers and leaves, and needleturned the stems. I used a bias maker for the stems and glued them down with Roxy glue, and years later, they are still stuck. Most of them have been stitched now.
I was given a bag of leftover fabric from my mother in law who flirted briefly with quilting years ago and never continued with it – so I think I scored pretty well. These fabrics are just gorgeous.
Again, it’s those lovely concord florals that seem to jump out at me. I’m sure it’s time for a revival of them.
The design is not my own, or at least the centre is not my own – the outer borders I’m winging it, I must say. When I remember who designed it, I’ll certainly let you know. It was in an Australian Quilting magazine, on the cover all in blues and it was the prettiest thing I’d seen in a while.
I’m still systematically going through the GYB links Vicki posted at her website, and meeting such a lot of new people – it’s great fun! So if you are here from that website, please say hi! Let me know if you have a blog so I can head over there and see what you’ve been working on!