Tuesday 14 January 2014

Kangaroo Island–The Wildlife


As well as fabulous natural scenes, KI is filled to the brim with native birds and animals.  Many of them are in the wild, there are also lots to see in wildlife parks.

007

Whilst we have kangaroos everywhere here where I live, none of them are of the nature where I want to pat them and feed them by hand.  This park featured lovely tame ones, most of them babies or females.  No fully grown males in this pen, thankyou!

008

It was a lovely chance for my girls (and me) to hand feed them.  They are so soft and gentle, it's so lovely to see them up close.

011

Rainbow Lorikeet.  I don't like to see birds in cages, but most of these were damaged in some way and are being restored to health.

014

Some, like Stanley the cockatoo have lived in a cage their whole life and would not cope with life 'outdoors'.

015

Really bad photo, but this is a tawny frogmouth - an owl like bird who will mimic a tree stump if threatened. I almost never see them in the wild, which is not to say they aren't there - just that I can't see them.

017

Clearly a kookaburra.  This one is a mainland one, mostly brown feathered.  I adore kookaburras.

018

019

A very unattractive wild pig.  He was found on the island, though goodness only knows how he got there. The park keeps him out of the parks now.  Feral pigs are bad news out in the wild.

032

Extreme close up.

035

I'm a chook person, and I loved this guy, standing behind his women.  I think they were some sort of bantam - they were only very small.

036

038

 Kangaroo Island is a very fitting name.

043

Now, I'm not familiar with peacocks too much, but there were a family of white ones wandering the parks. Are they albino or are white peacocks a particular breed?  I must admit, they're not so spekky as their coloured counterparts, but those tails are wonderful what ever colour they are in.

048

My husband is a fully fledged Raptor lover (eg. owls and birds of prey).  Whilst he really doesn't like to see them in cages, he was in his element, being able to see these guys up close.

049

If he were here, he'd be able to tell you their names.  I don't know them at all.  This one is rare, apparently.

050

Here's a better photo.  Love his long tail.

051

A lovely barn owl.

052

With his friend.

053

I think this is a boobok owl.  Apparently they are very common though I have never seen one in the wild, ever.

054

Now I could be wrong but I think this may be a whistling kite or perhaps a kestrel.  I spent ages looking for him, and he was this far away from me the whole time, tame as tame.  I didn't stick my finger in the cage.

056

Though there was the token crocodile, he was imported from up north, as South Australia does not have any crocs.

057

We do have 20925950 turtles, however.  Quite common to pull them up in the yabby net.

059

After googling, discovered this is a curlew.  I'm ashamed to say I don't know the names of half of these birds.

203

 After that wildlife park, we visited Raptor Domain, which is a rehab/educational facility filled with raptors.

208

They brought out bird after bird for us to see.   This is a peregrine falcon, I think.

021

Black cockatoo, rare thing he is.  White ones are a dime a dozen, and pink galahs are everywhere.  Black ones are sadly all too rare.  Pink galahs are stooopid.

216

218

My photos are out of order here, but this lovely one is an owl of some sort.  He looks very self important there.

220


222

234

238

I was very happy with how these photos turned out.  It was a newish camera and it worked wonderfully.

240

 Another lovely owl, hidden in the treestump.  When they call him, he comes out for lunch.

249

Can you see the tail of a mouse ever so delicately hanging out of his mouth?

251

A Sea Eagle.  My husband just about took flight himself when he saw him.  They are very rare, this bird was particularly unsettled and not so cooperative, but he was magnificent all the same.


261


279

Oh lovely kookaburras again.  These are Kangaroo Island kookaburras, they are related to the Kingfisher family and they sport wonderful blue feathers.

287



291

And here is the reason we came to the park.  A wedged tailed eagle, or wedgie as my family call them. They are quite common around here, and they act much as vultures do - cleaning up carrion from the roadside and the outback.  We see them often in the sky, not so often close up like this.

295

 

324


326


342

See that arm? That's my husband's.  He's just fulfilled a dream of his, ticked something off his bucket list. All for the princely sum of $10.

It was so wonderful to see him do that.

And that's my foray around Kangaroo Island.  I hope you've enjoyed it, tomorrow I'll be back with quilty showings for you.

Till tomorrow,

Suzie

No comments:

Post a Comment